Ph.D. Chemist (Organic/Medicinal)
KemPharm is a clinical stage, specialty pharmaceutical company engaged in the development and discovery of proprietary prodrugs that are designed to be improved versions of widely prescribed and FDA approved products.
This position will support drug discovery programs through design and synthesis of potential drugs, and will report directly to the Senior Group Leader, Chemistry, and indirectly to the EVP, Research & Development. The incumbent will use his or her expertise to effectively design and/or carry out experiments to maximize yield and purity as well as meet tight deadlines.
• Reports directly to the Senior Group Leader, Chemistry, and indirectly to the EVP, Research & Development, and supports the entire R&D team
• Follows standard operating procedures (SOP) for maintaining laboratory equipment and facilities
• Assists in the preparation and/or prepares solutions, reagents, starting materials
• Performs routine laboratory tests, chemical reactions, and isolation/purification procedures
• Coordinates and/or conducts laboratory equipment maintenance and calibration
• Keeps laboratory supplies up-to- date and using Quality Assurance techniques and assists with inventory, ordering, receiving and stocking of laboratory supplies and equipment
• Keeps clear, accurate and timely records of all laboratory work and data measurements
• Maintains and organizes Safety Data Sheets (SDS's) and Certificates of Analysis (COA's), as well as any other documentation required for technical information about the products
• Performs general lab housekeeping and instrument clean-up
• Efficiently organizes, prioritizes, and plans work schedules
• Regularly and effectively communicates with other R&D personnel and supervisor regarding all aspects of the day to day operations of the laboratory
• Performs various other research-related duties as assigned
Candidates Must Possess:
• Proven scientific knowledge, including basic general chemistry, biology, biochemistry, and similar fields
• Ability to communicate and coordinate with colleagues
• Professional presence and strong attention to detail
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as within a highly productive team
• Ability to conduct all activities with an appreciation and respect for diversity of people, styles, and views, while maintaining the same as an integral part of one's work
Required Education and Experience:
Requires a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry.
Must possess applicable experience in analytical instrumentation (e.g. HPLC, NMR, MS).
5+ years’ experience in organic chemistry is preferred.